dog for adoption ?!

beware of those who have dogs to put up for adoption. so my experience goes, unless it is a shelter...even then be careful. my experience of dealing with some of these people is bad. let me tell you what happened yesterday. i got an sms- about a dalmation up for adotion. the manner in which the sms was written i couldnt discern the age of the animal. so i called the number forwarded. first the phone rang and nobody picked up. then someone called me back from the same number within 45 seconds.

i said i had called for the dog. "oh it is a dalmation which is about a year and a little older". knowing how many girls i have on my hands, when i heard his age i backed out. but the lady at the other end was very patronising. when i uttered,rather unthinking of me too, that i was not sure how old the dog was and had called for a smaller one...she told me(very uppity now) that i should go and buy one if i want it, because when you go out to adopt dogs they dont come that young. i think our whole family is having by now a tradition of adopting dogs. me having done the dog up there on the blog title and her companion and my sister getting her's.(i am waiting for her to tell her own story, in her own time- while she finds her feet in the new city she just moved into from Austin)

In that case i was obliged to tell the woman, that i had a pack of three girls of my own. Upon which in a continuation of her patronising tone and as though educating me she said, "oh well! the three would simply kill one male" Now it was my turn to be amused and I told her, "usually that is determined by who the alpha is in the group- whether it is a human or a canine" Then i think she understood i knew a little about dogs too, climbed down a bit from her mighty position and enquired whether i wanted to know anything else. i was not even interested in hearing her voice by then.

But what i am driving at is this: usually when someone has an interest in putting up a dog for adoption and another one has an interest in calling or finding out...i think dogs should go to the people who have a genuine interest. i remember this other dog outside friendicoes- a yellow labrador who is now tied up over there-and getting more and more emaciated by the day, losing his spirit being tethered and losing his general joie de vivre. he was found stray somewhere and apparently went out biting too!( just imagine what he must have gone through to undergo such a change from his breed temperament) Now there is this very uncouth woman out there, who watches over the dogs, the pet store there and does some other myriad activities. it is not my nature to call anyone names, but when i see people who are loud on more than one occasion and whose only method of handling their stress or pressure at work or decision-making is shouting...i really am very upset inwardly, and turned off outwardly. I know these are the people I do not want to communicate with. Due to my taking things in a lighter way or talking politely if they mistake me to be a person with no mind or ideas- they are to be pitied. So this lady is one of those. I had also expressed a desire to take that cur home coz he was so pitiable there and deserved careful, compassionate, purposeful handling...and she again was one of those imbeciles who wanted to 'educate me'. Certainly i am open to education,but by now into the fourth decade of life- i know who i want my teachers to be. Dogs? Yes, Humans?- NO NO NO. Besides if you look at the catalogue here- they are my all in my personal collection, not a desiretta.

That also brings me to the story of how we got Caesar home. I think Tony had called up a European lady who had a dog up for adoption, and this was barely a couple of days after Rocky had passed away. But that lady had appeared to be so fussy about who she wanted to give her dog to...they must have a garden in the house, servants and whatnot. I wonder who the dog went to...but i am really amused, and rather pity those owners who have dogs up for adoption. i know from the stories of the four dogs i saw very closely- Goli, Junior, Lalu and Lucy- we were one of the best people to give the dogs to. Our dogs will tell you that story - not our tongues. (Though Caesar is another story- something that makes my heart ache all the time)

Last of all...a few months ago a friend was wanting a german shepherd- grown up. Saw an ad for adoption and called. The man who put up the ad, was going overseas, wanted to actually sell his dogs for Rs.15000/ each mind you. He simply didnt seem interested in who took the dogs (had two) but who could pay!...the adoption word was a hoax!

No comments: